top of page
Rooted IN History

Innovation
Integrity
Inclusive

What is the Cooksville BIA?

Supporting Businesses, Strengthening Community

A Business Improvement Area (BIA) is a local organization that represents and supports businesses within a designated commercial district. The Cooksville BIA works in partnership with businesses, residents, and the municipality. We work together to promote Cooksville`s vibrant business community.

Our Vision: Cooksville is the heart of Mississauga where businesses, culture, and community thrive.

Our Mission: To strengthen Cooksville through advocating and supporting local businesses by maintaining our history and creating a vibrant, safe, and culturally diverse destination.

Values

Integrity

We act with honesty, fairness, accountability, and strong advocacy for Cooksville businesses, building trust while upholding high standards for our district.

Innovation

We approach change with optimism and a solution-focused mindset, turning challenges into opportunity and driving growth.

Inclusive

We celebrate Cooksville's diversity and strive to create a welcoming district where all cultures, communities, and voices feel respected and represented.

Our Priorities for a Stronger Cooksville

Attraction & Promotion

Strengthen Cooksville's identity, visibility, and vibrancy to support long-term economic vitality, community pride, and destination appeal.

Goal: Increase visitation, business activity, and district awareness by positioning Cooksville as a culturally vibrant and experience-driven destination.

Member Engagement

Strengthen relationships with businesses through meaningful engagement, practical support, collaboration, and shared ownership.

Goal: Increase member participation, business connection, and perceived value of the BIA through stronger communication and support.

Beautification & Placemaking

Enhance the public realm to create a more welcoming, connected, and people-focused district experience.
Goal: Improve perceptions of cleanliness, safety, walkability, and visual appeal throughout the Cooksville district.

Partnerships & Advocacy

Build strong relationships and advocate for the investments, policies, and initiatives that support Cooksville's growth and success.

Goal: Influence positive change and secure resources that strengthen the district and its business community.

Organizational Excellence

Strengthen the BIA's leadership, governance, and operations to ensure long-term sustainability and impact.
Goal: Build a high-performing organization that is accountable, innovative, and future-ready.

“Use this space to share reviews from customers about the products or services offered.”

Grapes On Vine
Chateau-Claire-Clair-House-artist-rendition-courtest-of-Heritage-Mississauga7-2-1024x614.j

Did You Know?

Cooksville was home to the Clair House vineyard and the Canada Vine Growers Association between 1864 and c1926, which was the first commercial winery in Ontario.

Cooksville+Model+Bakery+Ad,+from+the+Port+Credit+News,+April+5,+1928.webp
Cooksville+Model+Bakery,+c1925.webp

Did You Know?

Cooksville was home to a renowned Master Baker, Henry Fullwood, between 1917 and 1956. He was famous for his soufflé and baked goods, and his products shipped internationally. In 1923 he won a gold medal for his Fullwood Fruit Cake in an exhibition in London, England. His bakery was known as the Model Bakery.

Jacob-Cook-from-the-1877-Historical-Atlas-of-Peel-County.jpg
TasteOfCooksville2024-ChantaleVshots-119.jpg

Did you know?

Cooksville was originally known as Harrisville after its first settler, Daniel Harris. In 1836 the community adopted the name of Cooksville, after Jacob Cook, one of the area’s industrious and leading citizens.

3.png
Fire Truck Silhouette

Did you know?

Cooksville was swept by fire on May 26, 1852. The fire started in Belcher’s Blacksmith shop and forge. Little of the village survived. The fire consumed 35 houses and businesses, 16 barns and 4 stables. The former Copeland General Store on the southeast corner of Hurontario Street and Dundas Street was built in 1852 following the fire.

Auto+Polo+at+the+Cooksville+Fair,+c1922.webp
Cooksville Fall Fair 1914_0000.jpg

Did you know?

The Agricultural Fall Fair was established in 1836 and ran during the first or second weekend in September until 1858, when it began to alternate annually with Streetsville. The fairs featured sport competitions, horse shows and racing, an auction, fruit stands and a famous bicycle race. When Streetsville no longer wished to “share the fair”, Cooksville formed their own fair committee in 1897. The last Cooksville Agricultural Fall Fair was held in 1951.

Unveiling+of+Howland+Plaque+at+Confederation+Square.webp
Confed Dundas.png

Did you know?

Confederation Parkway was originally called Hook Avenue named after Edward James Hook, who subdivided the property, and at first only ran south of Dundas Street. For a short time it was known as Royal Windsor, before being named Confederation Avenue in 1967, in honour of the centennial of Canada’s Confederation. At that time, a new public square was unveiled in front of Town Hall, called Confederation Square. In 1969 it was renamed Confederation Parkway, and in the late 1970s and early 1980s the road was extended north of Dundas Street.

Old & New.png
Cooksville was originally known as Harrisville after its first settler, Daniel Harris. 

In 1836 the community adopted the name of Cooksville, after Jacob Cook, one of the area’s industrious and leading citizens.

LOCAL LEGACIES

1.

Cooksville House Hotel (modern location address: 5 Dundas Street East)

This is the location of Jacob Cook’s original tavern, which was built in 1829 and burned in the great Cooksville fire of 1852. A new hotel, known as the Cooksville House, was built here in 1852. It operated as an inn, store, restaurant and bank into the 1930s. It was torn down in 1954 for the widening of Dundas Street. The present CIBC bank branch marks the location of the inn.

 

The Cooksville House Hotel had many names over its history, including the “Royal Exchange”, the “Morley House and Post Office”, and the “King Hotel”. A later owner, George Bowers, renovated the building in 1923, making space for a barbershop and harness maker, and adding a cement verandah. At the time, the “Cooksville House” slogan was “the best 50 cent meals and excellent ice cream.” Proprietors of the Cooksville house over the years included Jacob Cook, “Ginger” Harris, Frank Morley, James King, Robert Ramsey, Sam Wilson, John Ward, George Bowers and John Braithewaite.

Cooksville-House-Cooksville-c1900.jpg

2.

Revere House & Ward’s Drug Store (modern location address: 3024 Hurontario Street)

One of Cooksville’s most well-recognized historic landmarks was the Revere House. The building, which served at first as a hotel, was built c1830 by the Walterhouse family. The building was once smaller, but in 1891 it is believed that Edway Walterhouse had the structure moved closer to the road and added a second storey and balcony.

 

The Revere House served the community as a hotel for many years, before becoming home to the Sterling (Union) Bank from Port Credit in 1907. In 1911 Bell Telephone’s first local exchange office for Toronto Township opened in the building. The Revere house later became home to Ward’s Rexall Drugstore, operated by Alfred Ward. The Revere House was rented to a succession of jewelry stores and beauty salons and Bill’s Men’s Wear. The building was torn down in 1965 when the intersection was widened.

2.png

3.

Copeland General Store (modern location address: 10 Dundas Street East)

Built in 1852 by Jacob Cook, this two-storey, red brick building is Cooksville’s oldest surviving commercial building. Jacob Cook oversaw the operation of the general store amongst his many other enterprises until his death in 1873. George McClelland rented the building in 1873 from Jacob’s son, Miles Washington Cook, and operated a general store. George’s business prospered. In 1910 Alfred Scott purchased the store and renamed it Scott’s Grocery.

 

Alfred had the first gas pump installed in front of the store in 1911. In 1912 the store was purchased by William Copeland. Renamed Copeland’s General Store, the building operated as a grocery and feed store, and William became Cooksville’s Post Master in 1922. As more and more cars began to appear, William opted to sell his corner lot to the British American Oil Company. In order to continue the grocery business, the store was moved 80 feet to the east in 1927. In 1948 William’s son Charles took over the store, and daughter Violet became the Post Mistress. The old store continues as a commercial enterprise today.

3.png

4.

Crofton Villa (modern location address: 60 Dundas Street East)

Crofton Villa was originally the home of Miles Washington Cook, Jacob Cook’s son. It was built around 1890. In 1903 the property was purchased by George Shepard, who had a successful clothing business in Toronto. In 1922 Martin Crofton purchased the property and converted the large house into an inn, restaurant and banquet hall. In 1947 the property was acquired by Edward Waller, who operated Waller’s Restaurant and the Cooksville Rod & Gun Club. A new building was built next door in 1968, and the old Crofton Villa was torn down.

4.png

5.

Cooksville Jersey Dairy (modern location address: 3025 Hurontario Street)

In November of 1933 Jimmy Newman purchased Hillside Dairy in Cooksville, which had been established by Price & Sayers in 1924. In 1938 Newman expanded his operation, retiring the horse and wagon, and purchased delivery trucks. He also equipped his operation with modern pasteurization and homogenizing machinery, becoming one of the first dairies in the Province to do so.

 

Milk from the dairy was delivered every morning in Cooksville, Port Credit, Dixie and Streetsville. In 1949 an ice cream parlour was added, and Cooksville Jersey Dairy became a popular place to visit. By the late 1950s, the dairy employed some 50 people and operated 30 milk trucks, serving most of southern Peel. Newman sold the dairy business in 1969, and the dairy was torn down for the building of a new post office building.

5.png

6.

Walterhouse Blacksmith Shop (modern location address: 3038 Hurontario Street)

Historic Cooksville was home to several blacksmith over time. In 1807 John Belcher operated a blacksmith shop, followed by Michael Readman in 1832. In 1850 Isaac Walterhouse ran a large blacksmith shop at the northwest corner of Hurontario and Agnes streets. Isaac passed on the blacksmithing trade to his son Lewis. Frank Walterhouse, Lewis’ son, was the last to run the blacksmith shop in 1920. The building was later converted to a house, and was eventually torn down about 1978.

6.png

7.

(Fullwood) Model Bakery (modern location address: 19 Dundas Street West

Throughout its history, Cooksville has been home to several bakery establishments, but perhaps the best known was Henry Fullwood’s Model Bakery. Henry Fullwood arrived in Cooksville in 1917, and his business was an immediate success. In 1918 the building was lost to fire. By 1921 Fullwood was back in operation with his Cooksville Model Bakery.

 

He specialized in fresh bread, mince pies, butter tarts and soufflés. In 1923 he won a gold medal in London, England, and at the bakery he added a tea room and refreshment parlour. By 1928 the Fullwood Fruit Cake was shipping abroad, including to American markets. Henry Fullwood retired in 1958 due to ill health, and briefly the building became home to a shoemaker, and was demolished in 1958.

7.png

8.

Pardy Harness Shop (modern location address: 25 Dundas Street West)

Philip Pardy was born in Somerset, England, and settled in Cooksville in 1888, where he opened a harness shop. Philip and his wife Jemima were active members of the Cooksville Methodist Church. Philip Pardy’s Harness shop operated for over 40 years, and while his primary business was with making and repairing harnesses and saddles, he was also known to repair shoes.

 

Philip was well-liked by all who knew him, and children from the village often gathered to watch him work and listen to his stories. In 1934 Philip celebrated his 83rd birthday while still working at his craft: “I have good health. I have never got rich, but neither have I been poor. I always have enough to eat and plenty of work, because I always do the best possible job for a reasonable price, making a fair profit.” Philip Pardy passed away in 1935.

8.png

9.

Cooksville Post Office (modern location address: 47 Dundas Street West)

In 1839, a post office was opened in a house at the northeast corner of Dundas and Cook streets with J.H. Savigny listed briefly as Post Master, followed by Frank Morley. With the registration of the Post Office, Cooksville officially received its name. Frank Morley was succeeded by John Peaker in 1871, who built a new post office building on the same location.

 

This building was in turn purchased by Herbert Shaver in 1898, who, in addition to being the Post Master, also ran a tinsmith shop from the small addition on the side. Herbert Shaver built the present building in 1914. The small side addition may have enclosed the original post office and tinsmith shop. The building later became a doctor’s office.

9.png

10.

10. Cooksville Methodist Church (modern location address: 93 Dundas Street West)

Early parishioners travelled for religious services to Dixie Union Chapel, a short distance to the east along Dundas Road, which had been established in 1816. In 1821 the Methodists of Cooksville held their first services in a small log cabin that belonged to a group associated with the Independent Order of Rechabites. In 1844, the Methodists decided to build their own meeting place and constructed a lath and plaster building on Agnes Street. This new church was formerly opened in 1845. Services continued in the Agnes Street church until 1886, when the congregation decided to erect a new church on the south side of Dundas Street. This church was badly damaged in the cyclone of 1923, but was quickly rebuilt.

Samuel Harris bought the old Agnes Street church building and moved it adjacent to his home on the north side of Dundas Street, where he used the building for commercial purposes. After 1924, his son Gordon Harris carried on a Real Estate Business from the old building. It later became home to the Cooksville Library for a short time. The old church survived the fire of 1852, and was torn down in 1991.

9.png
Today, Cooksville is recognized as one of Mississauga's founding villages and one of its most diverse neighbourhoods. Home to a vibrant mix of cultures, businesses, restaurants, and services, the community continues to evolve while maintaining its historic identity.
MacBook Facebook.png
Phone Mock Instagram.png
VISIT US ON 
INSTAGRAM & FACEBOOK
View Feed
bottom of page